Batch 17 spot on, finally

After weeks of experimentation which was documented in the previous blog about roasting beans from the Ethiopia Oromia Nefas farm, I have at last found what I think is the optimal profile for 1.25kg of these beans in my Coffee-Tech FZ-94 roaster, using the free Artisan software.


I first tried this batch on the set that I brought along for a short vacation near Rockanje in Zuid-Holland and after my return home last night I could hardly wait to try it on the Londinium L1-P.

18.6g in the basket, 33g out in 41s after a 10s pre-infusion (5s of 2 bar, 5s of 3 bar). The espresso is bright, very typically Ethiopian and sweet, without leaning towards a dry after-taste and also not tasting too dark while still having a creamy mouthfeel and, when swirling the coffee in the wide cup, the syrupy coffee fluid momentarily hangs on to the side of the cup before slowly flowing back into the rest of the espresso.

iPhone Picture by Roemer Overdiep
So I'll stick to this profile for the remaining few batches and start with that when I go searching for the best roast of the next bean ahead, from Guatemala.

Back in the time when we first experimented with the little Fracino Roastilino shop roaster, Roemer Overdiep and I briefly had a website where people could order coffee beans. The quantities roasted turned out to be too small really to sustain a website with ordering / postage mechanism.

In the near future, this concept will be revitalised and John, another local roaster, will participate.

John is dedicated to creating excellent and affordable blends for small businesses who are aiming for the most 'bang for the buck'. He too roasts at home and he uses a small professional cast iron roaster that is wonderful for creating classic allround full-bodied coffee which will please many.

My personal aim is to buy the best green beans that I can get my hands on and then search for the best possible profile, only selling some of the low quantity high quality output after I am convinced it's great.

This costs more in time and material.

Also, I want to stay as radically transparent as I have been so far, communicating all technical details and the actual Artisan roast profiles of any batch. In my view, this is part of using Artisan, which is also an open source program, free for all to share.

In effect, people could decide to use my beans for their coffee but at the same time anyone who finds they like the result can go out, get the same equipment I specified and use the same methods I have published in detail to start roasting.

I would like to produce beans that anyone who loves their coffee will want to taste every once in a while and not keep any aspect of the production a secret.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Tiny Cheap Fluid Bed Roaster by Tije and Jan

Finished Pavoni & Fuji PXG4 pid: Probe Inside the Ring

TC4+ boards and Arduino controlled roaster by Matthias Gerstgrasser