First PXG4 controlled roasts on Roastilino

PXG4 on table corner, behind it the Roastilino showing heater temp and time left to roast, Amprobe to the right measuring Bean temp and Air Out temp, on the laptop Artisan monitoring and logging.
Configuring the PXG4 turned out to be very easy, in part thanks to preparing all the relevant steps and having them available my iPad, zooming in on my blog about it.

Connecting Artisan to program the PID seemed a bit unclear to me so I started out programming a roasting Ramp/Soak sequence manually on the PXG4:

1 From room temp to 110ºC in 1.5 minute
2 Up to 160ºC in 3.5 minutes
3 Up to 210ºC in 3 minutes
4 Up to 222ºC in 1.45 minutes

The Roastilino allows maximum 9.5 minutes of roasting, so the machine can't easily catch fire if I forget (or electrocute myself and become unable to end the roast orderly).

I had downloaded and installed the RS232-USB converter driver from

http://de.aten.eu/products/productItem.php?model_no=UC232A but that one seems too old and Marko Luther pointed me to an alternative on http://sourceforge.net/projects/osx-pl2303/ but to get that to work without crashes, I may need to find out how to uninstall the old one.

Artisan is mostly, after some attempts, successful in connecting to the PID using these settings:

USB Serial Controller D
9600, 8, N, 1, 1

But the connection is not easy to keep stable. It might be the two drivers conflicting or something else.


I Auto-tuned with beans:









After auto-tuning twice I had the values P=1 I=240 D=60




A first roast:


I see the BT and especially ET graph meandering around the target and I tried setting P=2 but that does not make much difference.

I must tweak the Ramp Soak sequence better as the ramp seems less steep than I would expect from experience with the original PID. It feels as if the heater is not getting much energy. Maybe that is a P setting issue also.

The external switch to trigger the Ramp Soak sequence works very well. I first thought that switching it off to HOLD would induce a cooling down but it does not so I set that Digital Input to "42" meaning just "RUN" when switched on.

If I want to stop the roast I switch the Roastilino from roasting to cooling.

I noticed that the Roastilino did not want to start up if the PID was on. Of course it considers the PID an internal device and if that one is already powered, something is strange so it won't start. At least that is my guess. So now I switch off the PID, then switch on the Roastilino, then switch on the PID again and next flip the switch to start the roast Ramp Soak sequence.

On http://lookass.ch/?id=4&area=art&art=227 I found an uninstall-tip that didn't work and another alternative which I installed. This may complicate it all or make it simpler, time will tell.






Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Tiny Cheap Fluid Bed Roaster by Tije and Jan

Finished Pavoni & Fuji PXG4 pid: Probe Inside the Ring

TC4+ boards and Arduino controlled roaster by Matthias Gerstgrasser