Soldering Pipo

A friend handed me a Pipo M3 tablet that's gone into some kind of screen freeze and asked me if I could fix it. Although I do have a soldering iron, I'm not really good at such things but I was willing to try. And it worked:

This is what I did. First a picture of the two diodes that I bought:
There's a website (http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/41687-solved-mod-pipo-m3-touchscreen-issue/page__st__20__gopid__749161#entry749161) with a brief description of a possible fix and I used that as a guideline. The trick would be to solder a Schottky diode 1N4148 or 1N5819 to bridge two very tiny parts on the board. I bought both diodes and used the tiniest of the two.

Opened the back using a credit card to un-click the front/back connectors. The electronics were insulated by thin plastic sheets fastened with sticky tape.



I used the soldering iron to temporarily disconnect the red wire (the plus wire from the rechargable battery). Then I used gaffer tape to isolate the parts the diode would be touching, to make sure no unintentional shortcut would be made:

 Bent the legs of the diode to fit the two connectors it needed to connect with:
 Stuck the diode in place:
 ... did some soldering, using the camera with macro lens and a magnifying glass to check what I'd done. The left leg should maybe have been heated longer but if the tiny blob had spread it would have made more connections than I needed.

Reacties

Anoniem zei…
THANK YOU!!!!!! Thank you so much!!! you my friend, are a life saver! As most of the M3 buyers my Pipo stopped working after a short period of time. Thanks to your detailed description I was able to get it working again. Would it be possible to also make a detailed description of the WIFI problem? I believe a antenna needs to be replaced with that of laptops.
Frans zei…
You're very welcome! I enjoyed doing this and I was pleasantly surprised to see it was successful too ;-)
I did read about the antenna solution but haven't looked into that further. Maybe in the future.

Populaire posts van deze blog

Tiny Cheap Fluid Bed Roaster by Tije and Jan

Finished Pavoni & Fuji PXG4 pid: Probe Inside the Ring

TC4+ boards and Arduino controlled roaster by Matthias Gerstgrasser