Repaired Sparklets soda siphon with LONDINIUM service set

Recently I picked up a vintage soda siphon which I estimate to be from the sixties. It hadn't been used for quite some time and after cleaning I found that most of the CO2 would spectacularly escape from the charger and the pressure that was in the bottle made water flow out.

Total loss? Maybe, maybe not. With a tiny sharp hook I picked the little rubber seal out of the cilinder where the CO2 cartridges are loaded and it was hard, crumbling. Below it on the inside was another seal, quite dry and flat.

I wondered where on earth I could find replacements. I imagined taking the siphon to hardware stores where men in coats would look at me, shaking their head. Then I remembered I'd ordered a service set for my LONDINIUM earlier this year and the ziplock had lots of rubber seals and gaskets. It was a far shot but it would be so very convenient if some of them would fit.

And they did! Part of the good luck I was having comes from the fact that both the LONDINIUM espresso machine and the Sparklets soda siphon are Made in England which can explain the choice of the standard sizes of these parts.

And now the siphon works as well as it ever did!

Reacties

Unknown zei…
I have what looks like a standard D syphon made in Czechoslovakia. Got it in a thrift shop. Do you have any advice for how to find someone who can make it work again?
Frans zei…
I do not know where you are located. Down here in Amsterdam I'd maybe know where to try, but long distance that's not an option (postage, time spent etc is too expensive if it turns out not to help). There is a German firm who restores these to super mint condition (https://www.siphonmanufaktur.de/en/) but they are a deluxe high end expensive option, and I'm not even sure they are still active. So the best option would be to try something yourself...
Anoniem zei…
there is a guy on Ebay that can probably do this. Look at his page: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/recon_syphons
AcquaSpumante zei…
Try the guys at www.acquaspumante.co.uk They should be able to fix for you

Populaire posts van deze blog

Tiny Cheap Fluid Bed Roaster by Tije and Jan

Finished Pavoni & Fuji PXG4 pid: Probe Inside the Ring

TC4+ boards and Arduino controlled roaster by Matthias Gerstgrasser