Speaker comparison [RADIO]

At Venhorst in Hilversum I picked up a little NES-5 Noise Eliminating Speaker, produced by www.bhinstrumentation.co.uk and I tested it against a big vintage speaker in a bakelite body. The NES-5 uses Digital Sound Processing to filter noise and crackling sounds from the input while keeping voice sounds and morse intact. The NES-5 needs 12-28V DC power to operate. I connected them to the 1946 RCA Radio Holland "Koningin Emma" AR-88 which has very little noise improvement on board.

In my view, the vintage speaker looks best, the little 'modern' speaker sounds better.

(There are more advanced speakers by the same manufacturer, see for instance this video.)


Youtube version:  

Reacties

Unknown zei…
I'm afraid, I disagree with your choice. The NES-5 sounds a little muffled to me. This could be due to my age and preferences for the 'real' analog sounds from the tubes and speaker.... Nice video though :-)
Frans zei…
On the manufacturer's website I see that meanwhile a number of more advanced and more expensive models have been made available so it's possible that those produce sounds you would also like. But I agree that when the signal is good enough, the analog receivers produce a most delightful clear and calm audio.

Populaire posts van deze blog

Tiny Cheap Fluid Bed Roaster by Tije and Jan

Finished Pavoni & Fuji PXG4 pid: Probe Inside the Ring

TC4+ boards and Arduino controlled roaster by Matthias Gerstgrasser