One of the latest novelties in espresso tools is the single basket by IMS called "The Single". At the 2014 Rimini convention many could try it out and this resulted in lots of chatter on the forums and other channels even though the basket wasn't yet available in large enough numbers for people to order one.
Now, I've found a reseller in Amsterdam and he brought me the first of the baskets he received to try out.
I mostly use my single baskets just to measure roast colours, because that way I do not need to fill a big basket but I gave up using them for espresso because they can be so finnicky.
The IMS single looks very easy in contrast. I should probably dose 1g more and/or grind a little finer (got one schpritzer) but overall the very first extraction was quite nice.
maandag 1 september 2014
zaterdag 30 augustus 2014
donderdag 28 augustus 2014
One of my La Pavonis swiveled on its base which needed to be fastened and the other one had a leak in the sight glass. All in all a fine reason to visit Peter van der Weerd of www.kafko.nl again!
Meanwhile, as the one La Pav is heating up to see if anything leaks, repairs on the other machine, starting with the sight glass:
The first La Pav 'sweated' a little around the bottom of the boiler. Inaudible and invisible, but holding a dentist mirror on a stick close to the spot did show some condensation.
|First Peter admiring Tije's wooden 'cooling' ring|
|Inspection of wires and internals. This La Pav still has the original p-stat|
|Replacing old gasket. Heating element in perfect shape.|
|Setting the boiler on the custom made tool to unscrew the bottom ring|
|Another gasket ready to replace|
|Three new gaskets|
|Cleaning the base.|
|Fastening the boiler to the base again|
|Reconnecting wires and pipe|
|Replacing the seals on the sight glass|
|Nylon gasket will get a rubber seal on top|
|Rubber seal on top|
|After the metal parts are in, the glass tube is pushed in from above|
|Tightening the seals|
|Pressure gauge back on|
|Pressurizing the boiler through the steam tip|
|Checking for any leaks, tightening the seals some more|
|Replacing rubber seals in the brew head|
|A tap to get the piston out|
|Piston is out to get cleaned|
|Cleaning the inside of the bore|
|Peter van der Weerd at work|
|O ring clip back in place|
|Old rubber seals off|
|New rubber seals on|
|Easing the piston back in|
|New gasket on neck of brew head|
|Ready to assemble|
|Old bolts had worn threads, new bolts look great|
|This is how to slip on the clips|
|Bolts on the other boiler were 'seizing' and therefore not closing tight enough, leaving the boiler to 'sweat' moisture|
|Greasing these bolts, now allowing a perfect fit for the boiler|
|Both machines ready to return home! Thanks Peter!|