Geisha La Julia

Above is the Artisan roast profile of the first batch of Colombian Geisha that I roasted.

At 8% moisture the bean is a little on the dry side of the spectrum so one must watch & listen carefully for the onset of FC.

As a starting point I used a recent profile of delicious Ethiopian beans that were also relatively dry.

I pre-heated the drum to 210ÂșC, started the roast and let Artisan cruise along the changes in airflow / element energy that I programmed into the "Alarms", gradually increasing airflow after 2:30 and decreasing element energy well before FC and again halfway the development.

FC arrived a little later than I expected but from FC onwards I kept the development phase to 2:36min just as with the last of the Ethiopian batches that I roasted.

I usually aim for a roast color of Tonino #95 -- anything within a margin of +/- 5 of that always turns out nice. (Some exceptions -- like a Colombian bean that I roast these days always tastes lighter than its Tonino color so a T#87 tastes as it it was a perfect #95.)

Whern the RoR started to climb again, I increased airflow in three steps of 10% to 80% of airflow capacity, dropped the beans in the cooling tray after 2:36 and cooled actively for 50s, the rest of the cooling done in a big sieve on the window sill with wide open window blowing cool evening air in one side of the house, out the other side.

The beans smell delightful and measure Tonino #96 which is practically spot on so I have high expectation for a first espresso shot in about two days.



PS Conni Trommlitz writes, March 7, about these beans:



Geisha & El Salvador shot side by side

Geisha extraction

Another response by Bobby from Arnhem, about the next batch of these Geisha beans




Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Tiny Cheap Fluid Bed Roaster by Tije and Jan

Finished Pavoni & Fuji PXG4 pid: Probe Inside the Ring

TC4+ boards and Arduino controlled roaster by Matthias Gerstgrasser