Ethiopian -- fresh beans are in

See also: http://kostverlorenvaart.blogspot.nl/2017/12/the-shadow-of-your-ethiopian-smile.html

Ethiopia Yirgacheffe, natural, Reko koba kochere Q1 by Catalyst Coffee Consulting.
Taste: sweet, median acidity and LOTS of body

Ethiopia Yirgacheffe, natural, Gelana abaya by Catalyst Coffee Consulting.
Taste: very clean, strawberry sweetness of licht over-fermentation, beautiful acidity and medium body.





Will add more info when I've had them in & out the roaster and in the cup!

Update 7 Dec 2017:

A first roast of the Gelana abaya yesterday evening:


I had forgotten to take out the BT probe during warmup so it's the classic profile with 'turning point'. The beans are relatively dry and I charged 1250g which warmed up fast, so I added more airflow in quick steps to keep the curve neat. The beans sailed through FC as hoped and expected and the effect was a Tonino #94 roast color. The test grinds smelled fantastic, a spectacular aroma coming off, powerful, reminding me of the Los Lajones beans I had long ago, just when they were being 'discovered' by others, rendering them unobtainable by people at my end. I kept the grinds in a bowl and they filled the apartment with this special aroma all through the early morning. Impressive.

This morning I could not contain my curiosity and already filled the E6 hopper with these beans, pulling myself an espresso. Again, much like the Los Lajones, it's practically as if you're not drinking coffee anymore but something much more complex. Light despite the Tonino #94 color, much like a rich young red wine. Certainly not a shot to be gulped away quickly but something to last a long time. The cupping bowl with the espresso shot is sitting on my desk and I'm even sipping the last cold sips carefully. Now I wish I had all the words to describe the taste.

Batch #2 -- remembered to insert the BT at CHARGE, not before. RoR a little higher than planned until 5minutes, then a little lower until FC, finishing practically the same as #1at almost identical AUC with the same roast color, Tonino #94. Weight loss 12.9%, also practically the same as the 13% of #1, moisture in roasted 5.2%(5.3%).
Update 18 dec 2017: Constantin Trommlitz picked up Batch 4 of these beans and brought the along to his family in Germany. There's basic espresso equipment there and the beans do great:




Batch 4 roast profile
Update 19 December 2017:
Reiss Gunson from LONDINIUM writes about batch 2:



Batch 2 profile
Update 24 December 2017:
Feedback From Frankfurt!

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Tiny Cheap Fluid Bed Roaster by Tije and Jan

Finished Pavoni & Fuji PXG4 pid: Probe Inside the Ring

TC4+ boards and Arduino controlled roaster by Matthias Gerstgrasser