Joy in Repetition

Some friends like to discover new places every vacation and make the most of every day but I love to return to the same place and do as little as possible there. Then I feel happiest and often I accomplish much more than I set out to do since I've not been distracted by novelties.

This 4th time in Bad Kohlgrub the Gästehaus Gerold is under construction but the Gerold family was so kind to let me have one of the rooms that no one is working on right now and at night I'm the only soul in the building which is quite pleasant. Over Xmas a few times I've been the only person in a hotel (after the big dinner, guests and stuff would all go home) and I enjoyed that very much as well.

The Heimgarten restaurant where I would always go to have a beer, tomato soup and the dish with potatoes around an island of spinach with a fried egg on top of it is closed this week. Or permanently.  It's dark and no sign says anything about it being temporarily asleep.

So I went for dinner in the other restaurant in the village, a friendly Italian place.
Tomatencremesuppe
The waiter (understandably) seemed to find me a little odd the first night but the second night he recognized me and gave me the same table and tonight he welcomed me as if I were a good cousin who happens to be a recluse.

I got the same table, my glass of red wine was brought before I asked and while I was reading Nassim Taleb's book "Fooled by Randomness" on my iPhone I had (of course) the exact same things as before (tomato soup followed by veal medaillons), it tasted absolutely delicious and it all looked splendid, finished off by a grappa from the house with a piece of chocolate.

Medaillons
To me this confirms my strategy not to hop from one new restaurant to another and in the same restaurant to order the same dishes again and again.

A life of adventure, discovering the sparkle of newness in the same thing!

Others will feel differently, but for me there's Joy in Repetition.




Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Tiny Cheap Fluid Bed Roaster by Tije and Jan

Finished Pavoni & Fuji PXG4 pid: Probe Inside the Ring

TC4+ boards and Arduino controlled roaster by Matthias Gerstgrasser