Roasting beans from Los Lajones in Panama

Onno van Zanten kindly let me have 2kg's of beans from Panama, produced by farmer Graziano Cruz, a crop from his Los Lajones farm.

This time I tried two different profiles. First, the "stepped" profile that I've recently been doing minor variations of. These have delivered very pleasant beans so far.


The profile is built on advice from several people on Homeroasters and elsewhere. The idea is to quickly get up to serious drying temperature (130°C in 2 minutes), finish the drying phase at 160°C at the 5 minutes point, reach First Crack near the 7 minutes mark and allow 2 minutes development time while slowly climbing towards 222°C. It has given me successful roasts so far.

These beans smelled wonderful at the recent cupping and here at home they are quite delicious green as well, and they are the first I have roasted that smell just awesome very shortly after the roast, when they have cooled. In German one would say "umwerfend!"

I wanted to know if a straight line with a fairly constant Rate of Rise would do the beans even more good. With the current Roastilino setup that is quite easy to accomplish:



As you can see, both times the FC is about the same time & temp. Just 2 seconds difference could very well be my response time variance. I stopped the second roast about 12 seconds earlier because from the look & feel I got the impression the roast was at the point where I wanted to quit, keeping the beans relatively light espresso brown.

Smell was unbelievable again once the beans cooled off.

I packed them both and this time I could check the roast depth already with the Tonino:


They are fairly close, the first batch registered 57 on the Tonino's Agtron scale and the second one 65. My lightest so far even though with the naked eye I would not easily be able to tell the difference between these two batches.

I was not preparing coffee from the ultra fresh beans yet, so I just took 9g of each, ground on the HG One into the single basket so the top layer was still big enough for the Tonino to read.

Can't wait to do a Tonino read again tomorrow and maybe pull an espresso already. The smell is way too alluring to wait much longer.

PS 20 feb 2014:

I took both batches to Trakteren, where Erik, Edward & I did a cupping * espresso brew. For cupping the "straight line" profile was preferred, in espresso the slightly deeper "stepped" roast seemed better. We agreed that this is a fascinating bean that will probably be best appreciated by people who are very much into coffee. Maybe a bit too "special" for most others. 

I left the batches there, so maybe I will here more later.

Meanwhile I will try to roast the "straight line" profile a bit deeper without losing the special character of this bean.

Marko Luther suggested that we also put the Tonino-Agtron value on the labels, like we do with the profile and I want to do that. I must experiment a bit more with the best time to take that sample to measure, because the beans get darker as they cool down more.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Tiny Cheap Fluid Bed Roaster by Tije and Jan

Finished Pavoni & Fuji PXG4 pid: Probe Inside the Ring

TC4+ boards and Arduino controlled roaster by Matthias Gerstgrasser